Firefox is the new name for that Netscape open source spinoff that came to be known as Mozilla, then Firebird, and now Firefox. Its a nice alternative to Safari, and does some things better, some not.
- Firefox loads web pages a little slower than Safari, I think.
- Loads java applications much, much faster and they run more smoothly.
- Blocks popups like Safari, but lets you know they exist with a small icon in the status bar, in case you need to see them.
- Buttons and form inputs are not OS X native, but can be styled by web authors to match the web site (whether this is good or bad is a matter of opinion).
- You can choose to block images for a particular website.
- Autocompletes URLs in a less annoying way than Safari (doesn't overdo it).
- Page info command (handy for web developers).
- New icon is pretty.
- Evokes images of Clint Eastwood in a flight suit.